“The time of Hastening the Lord’s work is now.” – Elder Russell M. Nelson

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

September 29, 2015 - Christ will never give up on us!

To my Family and Friends,

Week number Four! (To the Hansen side of the fam) Don't watch the Enduring Love Mormon message! But if you want to, keep the Kleenex close by.

To start, this week I was able to study the entire book of 3 Nephi, which was powerful. It is basically all the words of Christ and there are a lot of powerful scriptures.

Also today I got a haircut and that's all I'm going to say about that.... (He said he felt like he was cheating on me. I've cut his hair since he was a baby.)

Anyway on to this week. I was sadden to hear that Elder Scott passed away but I know that he is happier now that he is no longer ailed by his aging body and he is reunited with his sweet wife after 20 years of devotion. Yesterday the entire MTC had the opportunity to watch his funeral. It was amazing and Elder Scott truly lived a life dedicated to the Lord and his gospel.

I am super pumped for General Conference this weekend and these are my predictions for the new apostles, Kim Clark, Gèrald Caussè, and Ulisses Soares and my long shot is Edward Dube.

In other news, I was released as District leader this week and about 20 seconds later was called to be the Zone leader. Now before you start sending me kind thoughts of praise, I desire to make something clear. Position in the church DOES NOT MATTER. It is not a way to measure worthiness or spirituality, it is an assignment to serve those around us and to help us grow. My assignment is Zone Leader, but my calling is still a Missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints. This assignment did not come because I am better than the other Elders in my Zone, I am simply called to help serve. But it is weird having to carry around a phone again.

So this week our 2 favorite districts left the MTC which was very sad... but where the old left the new replace. Parker Hansen and Tyler Ursenbach came into the MTC on Wednesday and they are learning their languages on the same floor as me, so that is pretty cool. Also Tyler is one of the District leaders in my Zone!

We had TRC (?) again this week and it went a lot better than last time. We taught more like home teaching than when we teach investigators. Speaking of, our investigators are progressing fairly well. They are both about ready for baptism but Manfred relapsed with alcohol on Wednesday which was a set back but has continued to progress since then and yesterday we had a 45 minute impromptu discussion on the power of the Atonement. We shared with him the love that the Savior has for each of us and that he will help us in our trials if we are humble and trust in him (Alma 38:5), and we shared Mosiah 26:30:

 30 "Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me."

I testify to you that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the single most important event in the history of the World. I know that Christ paid the price for all of our sins that we may become subject unto him and humble ourselves so that we can be forgiven. The only way that the Atonement will stop working for us is when we give up. Christ will never give up on us.

Also this week we got in trouble because of spoons. The zone prank has been to slip people spoons from the cafeteria with out them noticing. This was started by none other than Panini Thangaraj! Anyway it kinda got out of hand so our Branch President told us, "Not to be stupid".
The whole situation was funny. :)

I can't tell you everything but, this week I got to watch a talk by Elder Bednar about becoming a missionary, not just going on a mission. In order to become a missionary there must be a change of heart, a change of attitude! 

A mission is different than I thought it would be and it is definitely harder. By myself I don't think I could do it, but that is the beautiful thing about the Atonement, I don't have to do it alone. I love the words of Ammon, "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." (Alma 26:12)

We can do all things in the Strength of the Lord! We don't have to go through any trial or heartache or pain on earth by ourselves because of the Atonement of Christ!

I am known as the scriptorian in the district and whenever anyone needs a scripture in a lesson they look to me. :) I love to read and ponder the scriptures because they can answer any question we have! Two quick scriptures:

Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do. (2 Nephi 32:3)

8 And it supposeth me that they have come up hither to hear the pleasing word of God, yea, the word which healeth the wounded soul(Jacob 2:8)

Turn to the scriptures and you will know what to do and shall be comforted! So, why not do it?

Okay my last thought... I often wondered why I, of all people, was chosen to be born into the true church of God. Why would I be so privileged to be born into circumstances where I have the light of the gospel given to me? Well, I now know that it is not a coincidence.

In Doctrine and Covenants section 46:13 it states,  To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.

From a very early age I have had a testimony of the Savior of the world and know that He lives. I testify and bear witness that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that through him all Mankind may be saved if we turn unto him with pure intent in humility. This testimony is why I was born into the situation I was. I have a strong testimony of the truthfulness of this gospel and because I have been given much I too must give. I am becoming a missionary and like the sons of Mosiah cannot be restrained to share the gospel with others. This is why I have come here to this place at this time! To share my testimony of Jesus Christ and the healing power of his Atonement!
I hope that I will be able to fulfill my calling and bring others unto Christ.


-- M' vle nou gen bon sante ak ke lavi nou yo kontan 
(I want us to have good health and that our lives are happy)

Elder Hansen
Florida, Fort Lauderdale Mission
Haitian-ing the Work

Christ will never give up on us!


Most of the Zone (was 100 members, now about 50 after two of the districts left)
Primarily French speaking, with the Four Haitian Elders and a few Tahitian Elders

 "It's weird to carry around a phone again"

The two districts that are leaving for the field

Elder Harrah, the Director (photo bomb by super tall Elder Jackson!) 

With Elder Baldobinos - leader of Big Arm Friday, he's an Olympic weight lifter from Mexico

Elders Murdock, Sovereign, Hansen, Petry (Peachtree), Boyd and Terry
I love Elder Petry's tag clipped to his tie because his shirt doesn't have a pocket!

Elder Jackson with Elder Heward on his back and his companion, Elder Nelson

With Elders Seelos and Thangaraj (the spoon thief)

No comments:

Post a Comment