“The time of Hastening the Lord’s work is now.” – Elder Russell M. Nelson

Monday, June 6, 2016

May 31, 2016 - Missionaries Don't Take Holidays

Hello All!

This was a pretty eventful week so that was good. This week we were biking to our appointment to teach Didier and Elder Celestin got a flat so we locked up our bikes and walked the rest of the way. After teaching Didier about the Plan of Salvation we came back to our bikes to find that Elder Celestin's bike seat was stolen! We had a good laugh about it then walked our bikes home. This week we also found Barbara who was super open and "thinking about getting baptized"... Done! We also found Kevin who we knocked into and felt the spirit during the prayer so much he almost started crying. We went back and taught him the Restoration and he loved it! We set him with a date for the 11th of June and he also came to church. Unfortunately he is Bahamian not Haitian so we passed him to the English Elders but still a pretty cool Miracle. On Thursday Elder VanCott came on exchange with us and we had a pretty good time together and taught some good lessons! Then on Saturday we went and checked up on Romain who got baptized last week and he cut down a bunch of Coconuts for us! They were super delicious :) Then Sunday night we taught Pierre and Tanya again. We taught them about the Law of Chastity, Temples and Eternal Marriage and they liked it a lot! At the end of the lesson Pierre let us take his imported Haitian coffee to dispose of for him! Awesome! Then yesterday while we were knocking we knocked on 8 doors and were able to teach two Restoration lessons which was awesome!  That was about it for the whole week.

Lastly, I'd like to share a segment form a talk from Elder Oaks, "A parable illustrates this understanding. A wealthy father knew that if he were to bestow his wealth upon a child who had not yet developed the needed wisdom and stature, the inheritance would probably be wasted. The father said to his child:

“All that I have I desire to give you—not only my wealth, but also my position and standing among men. That which I have I can easily give you, but that which I am you must obtain for yourself. You will qualify for your inheritance by learning what I have learned and by living as I have lived. I will give you the laws and principles by which I have acquired my wisdom and stature. Follow my example, mastering as I have mastered, and you will become as I am, and all that I have will be yours.”

This parable parallels the pattern of heaven. The gospel of Jesus Christ promises the incomparable inheritance of eternal life, the fulness of the Father, and reveals the laws and principles by which it can be obtained....

From such teachings we conclude that the Final Judgment is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts—what we have done.  It is an acknowledgment of the final effect of our acts and thoughts—what we have become." (Oct. 2000)

This life is not for us to complete a checklist of tasks, it is to become like He is!

I love you all and hope that you all enjoy the upcoming summer break!

-- Pote'w Byen (Be well?)
Elder Hansen
Florida, Fort Lauderdale Mission

Haitian-ing the Work
Elder Christensen and Elder Hansen enjoying fresh Florida coconuts

Coconuts freshly cut down by their recent convert Romaine




The view from their apartment parking lot

Elder Celestin and his new companion :)

They confiscated some Haitian coffee liquor from one of their investigators

Glad to see they disposed of it properly!


No comments:

Post a Comment