“The time of Hastening the Lord’s work is now.” – Elder Russell M. Nelson

Monday, October 24, 2016

October 17, 2016 - I am now a True Floridian

Hello Friends,

This was a crazy week, let me tell ya! So to start off, last P-day we went to Steak and Shake and some kind citizen paid for us! I thought that only happened in Utah! So that was awesome. Then on Tuesday we did some service for the Schmidt's in our ward and we painted their Curbs, which was an oddly relaxing activity. Then that night we did an activity with the youth where they were supposed to hold on the the "Iron Rod" while Blindfolded and we (the missionaries) in a paradoxical reversal of roles, were supposed to get them to let go of the rod. It was pretty fun! On Wednesday, we gave Zone Training which was super awesome, then I went on exchange out to Lehigh Acres which was fun.
And I became an official Floridian because I have now been in Florida for a full year and the weird thing is, it's only been one summer... odd. But anyway, then we taught the Haitian boyfriend of a Less-Active member from Peru, if that makes sense... it was a cool lesson. :) On Friday, we did some more service at the Local food bank and bagged zucchini into bags that said Florida tangerines on them. I don't know about you, but if I went to eat a tangerine and got a zucchini I would be a little disappointed. Then while we were out knocking on Friday, we walked away from a door too fast and knocked the next one and then both people came out at the same time, so Elder Smith and I got split up and I started talking to a Haitian girl named Madeline. I offered to say a prayer with her and asked her what she wanted me to put in the prayer and she said that she wanted kids. So I asked if she was married and then she told me that she was looking for a husband too.... (BTW this is all in Creole) so I begin to feel a little awkward at this point because of A) the Conversation and B) the way she was looking at me and C) my back up is at the next door talking to somebody else! But I am pleased to report that I made it out safe and sound and Madeline is still single and childless (at least as of Friday). On Saturday we ate at an amazing Peruvian restaurant and had "Lomo Saltado" (you can Googles it if'n you's want's to) But super delicioso! Then we contacted some Less Active's to round them up for church and we ate some chili with the Norman's in our ward. Then we got an Emergency Referral from President Richardson, he needed us to go to the Hospital to give a man a blessing. He has stage 4 lung cancer and from what I saw he doesn't have very long left. It was pretty sad to see his less-active member parents watch as their non-member son's condition continued to deteriorate. :(
On Sunday Marcel, Michelle and Tifarel (Nellie's husband) all came to church and enjoyed it! I think Tifarel loved church the most. When we had our lesson after church he asked how he could be an "active" member of the church and how he could get a calling! He will be getting baptized on Oct. 29th!!! I think that is all for the week, we had a pretty busy time running around but it is all good when you are in the service of God.

My last thought this week is from President Russell M. Nelson, "If we look to the world and follow its formulas for happiness, we will never know joy. The unrighteous may experience any number of emotions and sensations, but they will never experience joy! Joy is a gift for the faithful. It is the gift that comes from intentionally trying to live a righteous life, as taught by Jesus Christ.

He taught us how to have joy. When we choose Heavenly Father to be our God and when we can feel the Savior’s Atonement working in our lives, we will be filled with joy. Every time we nurture our spouse and guide our children, every time we forgive someone or ask for forgiveness, we can feel joy.

Every day that you and I choose to live celestial laws, every day that we keep our covenants and help others to do the same, joy will be ours."

The only way that we can find joy is through the gospel of Jesus Christ, I have seen it in my own life and I see it in the lives of others everyday.

I hope that we can all make the conscious choice each day to choose joy and follow the plan of happiness that God has set before us!

-- Love
Elder Hansen
Florida, Fort Lauderdale Mission

Haitian-ing the Work

I found a new friend!

The "Zone of Promise"

Elder Morgan and Elder Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment